Fishing Licence

Fishing Rod Licence

New Style Fishing Licence

New Style Fishing Licence

You need a fishing rod licence to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt and eel with a rod and line in England (except the River Tweed), Wales and the Border Esk region of Scotland.

You need an additional licence to fish in the Thames.

You must always carry your rod licence when you’re fishing or you could be prosecuted. You can be fined up to £2,500 for fishing without a rod licence.  Children under 12 don’t need a licence. However, if you take a child under 12 fishing and hold the rod or help hold it you must buy a licence for yourself.

Types of Fishing Licence

There are 2 types of licence:

  • trout, coarse fish and eel licences that let you fish for non-migratory trout, char, coarse fish, eel and smelt
  • salmon and sea trout licences that let you fish for salmon, sea trout and all of the fish in the licence above

Applying for your licence is easy.

Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Pick the right licence. Decide if you need a Non-Migratory Trout & Coarse Licence or a Salmon & Sea Trout Licence. The Salmon & Sea Trout Licence is more expensive, but also covers you for Non-Migratory Trout & Coarse.
  2. Choose the length. If your trip’s a one-off, consider the 1 or 8 day options. If you’re a regular angler, you can get cover for the full season.
  3. Buy your licence. You can buy it online, in branch or by phone. Full contact details can be found in the right hand column.
  4. Wait for it to arrive. Remember – you’re allowed to go fishing with your email confirmation.

Licence Concessions

  • Senior – for age 65+
  • Junior – for ages 12-16 inclusive
  • Disabled – for those in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payment) and Blue Badge Holders. You’ll need your National Insurance number or Blue Badge number for your concession.